StarExec
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

solver configuration

4 posters

Go down

solver configuration Empty solver configuration

Post by davidcok Wed May 07, 2014 1:06 pm

The help document (from the help menu) on Star-Exec is empty with regard to creating and uploading a solver. Is there some other written description that I can forward to potential participants in the SMT-COMP competition?

In particular, I presume solver executables still expect the benchmark as standard input (as in the previous competition infrastructure), correct?

- David

davidcok

Back to top Go down

solver configuration Empty Re: solver configuration

Post by timking Wed May 07, 2014 8:39 pm

Check the out the solver section in the public wiki user guide. The instructions there are the best I know of. https://wiki.uiowa.edu/display/stardev/User+Guide#UserGuide-Solvers To be honest even with this guide, it took me a couple of attempts to properly get everything lined up. I'd recommend trying to follow it and see if you think it is sufficiently complete before forwarding everyone in the competition to it.

In particular, I presume solver executables still expect the benchmark as standard input (as in the previous competition infrastructure), correct?
No it is always argument $1. See the configure script example in the above link for an example and the Special Variables subsection.

timking

Back to top Go down

Post by davidcok Sun May 18, 2014 9:01 pm

ONe of my points was that the presence of location of the public wiki user guide is not obvious from the Starexec home page - and the help there is sparse. I think a link to the wiki would be helpful. Sorry if it is there and I missed it.

davidcok

Back to top Go down

Post by dkuehlwein Fri May 23, 2014 10:59 am

As a follow up to David's question:
I can't find anything about local dependencies/tuning on the StarExec user guide.
What's the Starexec equivalent to ./configure make or pip install?

(My code depends on several third-party python libraries which are usually installed locally. I also need to do some measurements/computations on the local machine during the installation.)

Cheers,
daniel

dkuehlwein

Back to top Go down

Post by j.waldmann Fri May 23, 2014 12:25 pm

> I can't find anything about local dependencies/tuning on the StarExec user guide.

installed software: https://starexec.forumotion.com/t23-problem-with-dynamic-linking#47

> ./configure

well, I don't expect that you can build-from-source on starexec nodes - because I don't expect that compilers and devel files are installed, and I also don't think that the nodes have (or should have) ability to connect to the net (for downloading missing files).

j.waldmann

Back to top Go down

Post by timking Fri May 23, 2014 1:12 pm

I believe that you need to request all of the libraries you want from the StarExec admins. You may need to wait until they do a roll out to have the packages on the machines. (If you can build them, static binaries are definitely the path of least resistance.)

j.waldmann wrote:well, I don't expect that you can build-from-source on starexec nodes - because I don't expect that compilers and devel files are installed, and I also don't think that the nodes have (or should have) ability to connect to the net (for downloading missing files).

According to that list, the starexec nodes do have access to compilers and some libraries. You can in principle abuse this to compile into the $STAREXEC_OUT_DIR directory.  Each job pair would of course compile independently and would waste a huge amount of storage and cpu time on every benchmark you ran.  I doubt this is an intended usage of StarExec, and it might make the admins annoyed if you do this too much.

Buuuut it does work. I just submitted a tarball containing the two files:
Code:
cat bin/starexec_run_default
#!/bin/sh
gcc really.c -o $STAREXEC_OUT_DIR/really
$STAREXEC_OUT_DIR/really
Code:
cat bin/really.c
#include <stdio.h>

void main(){ printf("helloworld"); }
The output of the job pair was:
Code: